Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Saturday Showers Bring Sunday Long Training Hours

Hanna rained out the P-Ride but it was clear in the afternoon so Corey and I swam open water a Jordan Lake. The water was higher the we had ever seen it before. I had intended to do the 1/2 IM TT that evening, but by the time we got back from dinner I'd be starting the workout at 9 pm, so I did a set of strength intervals instead: 6x 2' @ 450 W at a low cadence. It's a quickie w/o that takes less than an hour, and feels productive. Plus, with so much distance training, it's important to maintain some power and strength, and avoid becoming a long-slow-distance-zombie.

Sunday I finally got around to the dreaded workout. The ride went well, 2hr22' for 56 miles with a 311 W average. I was 321 W after the first hour, but faded, perhaps the strength intervals affected me. Then came the run, 10 miles, picking up the pace every 4 miles. The first 8 were according to plan start a little faster than Easy-Long pace, then drop 15"/mile (6:40's then 6:20's-30's), but the final 2 "fast" miles weren't, both were in the 6:20's.

Goals for this week are to recover well from this session and have a good 40 km TT on Wednesday, follow it up with a fast LT run or interval session, then recover from that well for the Duke 1/2 Ironman.

No comments: